Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Ode to the First Day of School


Anticipating so much went to bed without fuss
Reading stories called I Love School
and Tiptoe into Kindergarten

Labeling backpacks and discussing lunch menus
Let's not forget the gym shoes
Forms, forms, forms to fill out

What's my teacher's name again?
I wonder what project we'll start tomorrow
Pick out the shirts they'll wear first day

Don't think I'll like school
It's different and new
At least all my friends will be there

So excited he woke before dawn
Don't fix my hair, already brushed teeth, can't eat
Backpack on, waiting by the door half hour early

Thought he missed the bus, almost cried
Rained as we waited, we were wet, not from tears
Smiled as the photogs kept clicking, sustained "cheese"

Boys are gone, baby girl to sleep
House is suddenly so quiet
Nana gone, Daddy gone
Mommy sits in total stillness and silence.

1 comment:

@MuseKaren said...

Exhale!
Peace to you, mommy.