Monday, September 29, 2008

29 Days of Giving

I have been feeling greatly abundant and generous lately yet not really knowing what to do about it. This weekend I went to a hotel for a couple of days with some of my girlfriends for some R and R - we ate good food, read, talked, painted our nails, watched movies. One of the movies was The Ultimate Gift. I actually didn't see it myself although it seems to have started this trend of synchronicities around giving in my life. My horoscope yesterday was titled "Gift of Giving", then this morning I randomly checked a blog I rarely read and it was all about the 29 Days of Giving challenge. The idea is to get beyond yourself (or over yourself!) by giving something each day for at least 29 days. It can be money or gifts, it can be time, attention, love, old sweaters, hugs or smiles. Without hesitation I signed up.
So today, my official day 1, my gift is something I've thought about and really just needed a push to do. I've been getting e-mails from Moveon.org. Here is what their site says about them:

"The MoveOn family of organizations brings real Americans back into the political process. With over 3.2 million members across America – from carpenters to stay-at-home moms to business leaders – we work together to realize the progressive promise of our country. MoveOn is a service – a way for busy but concerned citizens to find their political voice in a system dominated by big money and big media."

So today, for the first time ever, I gave money in support of a political campaign. One person can make a difference, especially if you partner with 3.2 million other one persons. Now, can we get 20,000 to sign up to give for 29 days? I've already got day 2 planned and several other great ideas in the works. I can't wait!

No comments: