Saturday, September 27, 2008

FREEDOM!

I'm writing to you today from a Residence Inn in the town right next to where I live. I'm with girlfriends on a freedom weekend, a get-away to connect, relax, catch up and restore. We've hugged, we've cried, we've eaten good food and we've slept. Now we're painting, making cards, scrapbooking, writing and gabbing. Tonight we're ordering Chinese take out and watching a movie. Tomorrow we go home.
I don't have to get milk cups, make meals, change diapers, break up fights, or clean up toys. I can go to bed when I want and I can get up when I want. I'm even going to go to a yoga class in the middle of the afternoon! I need this.
We all need time to restore. I think women, especially moms, are often so busy taking care of others that we feel guilty taking care of ourselves. Everyone needs caretaking at times, and if we don't get it from others, we need to give it to ourselves.
My kids were a little sad when I told them I would be gone for a couple of days. I told my oldest son that I was going to do Mommy stuff and that when I come back I'll be a better mommy because of it. He seemed to understand that, or at least it sounded good to him.
I'm going to go have another glass of water and snack on a few edamame beans, then I'm going to do some Yoga.

No comments: