Saturday, January 5, 2008

People are strange only if you act like a stranger

25 days of my favorite things - #7

People. Yes, I love people. All people, even the ones that I hate. Sometimes (most often when you are in good mood and your mind is relatively free) you can really appreciate people and just smile and enjoy the way they are – all of them. For example, I recently went to the grocery store. The day before Christmas Eve to be exact. I really tried to avoid it because I know what it’s like. I live in a suburb of 25,000 with one grocery store. What was I thinking? But I was happy and not in a hurry so I could afford to just be peaceful and enjoy the trip. It was snowing like crazy. Frankly, it was beautiful, if you don’t mind the craziness of it all.

I entered the store just watching people and smiling. There was the Rip Taylor look alike with shorter hair and a fancy fanny pack (yes, people still wear them). In the produce section there was the older lady with grey curly hair wearing a leather Pink Ladies jacket (brings me back to my days of Grease 2 obsession). There was the older tall lady wearing a luxurious coat (I only saw her going away down the aisle). And the younger couple- she was about 7-8 months pregnant – and the woman who looks like I normally do at the grocery store, with tired eyes and a frantic get-me-out-of-here-now! look towing 3 young children who are bouncing around the aisle oblivious to their mom’s fatigue. Fascinating to watch. Yet I love it all! Sometimes if you are not in a hurry and distracted by your own life you can really appreciate people, strangers and all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.