Friday, January 18, 2008

Minnesota

25 days of my favorite things - #10

You are correct, that does say Minnesota. I love Minnesota. Not in a we're-better-than-you-are way, it's just that I grew up in Minnesota (closer to Canada than anything else) and I think everyone has certain things they love about where they grew up because that's what they knew. I do have other places I love - Chicago, Florida, San Francisco - but Minnesota is where I choose to live and love.
Probably the 2 biggest reasons I love it are Lakes and Seasons. Of course Minnesota is "The Land of 10,000 lakes". Actually 11,842 to be a little more accurate. I grew up on a lake, literally and figuratively. My Dad's house is on lakeshore for one. And then there's the fact that we spent most of our free time in it or on it - boating, fishing, ice fishing, skating, swimming, tubing, water skiing, jet skiing. I even learned how to drive a car on a lake (minus the ice ridge incident). I can't imagine living anywhere you can't drive in any direction for less than 30 miles before running into a lake. I'm funny that way. There's a reason why hockey is so huge here (St. Paul recently named Hockey Town USA by Sports Illustrated). Where else in the world do High Schools actually have hockey cheerleaders? (yes, I was one)
And the seasons. True four seasons and all their extremes. I've always said that my favorite season is the beginning of each one. Too long in any weather condition and I just plain get bored - I like the variety. And I'm not sure I could live someplace that never gets snow. At my son's ice skating lessons the other day I listened to some women speak of this same thing. One woman said she enjoys a good blizzard! The thing is, we LIKE the cold. My husband calls it the battle of the elements. Being able to prove we can somehow survive going out in blinding snow and -60 wind chill. Don't let any complaining fool you. In fact, that's part of what we like - to have it be really cold and complain about it. Tomorrow, January 19, the weather forecast for Minneapolis is a high of -5. A HIGH. Wind chills from -27 to -37 below 0. So if you know someone in Minnesota, call them up. I'm sure they'll tell you all about the cold and complain about it too. Just remember, they just might be loving it.

4 comments:

@MuseKaren said...

Wow - we must be on the same "loving the cold" vibration. I love everything you wrote about too (except Hockey :-). Especially the seasons and a good blizzard. My feet are frozen right now but I'm still loving it!

Kristine said...

I appreciate your post. I used to live in Duluth where we experienced -75 wind chills. It's not really cold until the media advises you to take out your contact lenses and earings before walking out the door! :)

Marya said...

I chuckled when I read about taking out your contact lenses and earrings! Thanks Kristine! Made me think though, it has been warmer here recent couple of years, doesn't get that cold anymore :-( Now -15 seems to get everyone in a tizzy. And snow still makes everyone forget how to drive!

@MuseLaura said...

I love Minnesota, too!