Saturday, January 19, 2008

BAG IT!

I have not yet done my New Year's Resolutions. My excuse? Suffice it to say, I haven't dedicated the time to sit down and actively think about it and write it down. I do, however, have one resolution I made today at the grocery store. It was kind of an epiphany. Seems easy, like I should have thought of it sooner, but in the absence of my 'Official Resolutions' I'm pretty excited about this one.
Effective today, January 18, 2008, I vow to not bring home a single plastic or paper bag from a shopping trip for the rest of the year (and hopefully the rest of my life).
Let me elaborate. According to my favorite stylish eco-friendly site, Ideal Bite, "In the United States, 12 million barrels of oil and 14 million trees go to producing plastic and paper bags each year." WOW. And beyond that I find the proliferation of annoying plastic bags even worse. I mean, what do you do with them? I can't bring myself to throw them away (seems like an enormous injustice) and it took me awhile to find a place that would recycle them (Cub Foods does) although that's still a huge environmental burden. And until you bring them to the recycle bin you have to find a place to store them. Yeah, annoying.
Plus I have all of these canvas bags. There's the 3 from the birth place at the hospital, 3 from the local ECFE, one from Kemps and one from MasterCard (food expo years ago)and my favorite, the one with crabs all over it. Or you could have one like the cool Elvis one I made my sister for Christmas.
I keep them all together in my front closet with great intentions of using them. Today I remembered them and on the way out of the store with all my bags it hit me. I have to use them every day. It's almost a crime not to. They are so much stronger than paper or plastic, and they're so lonely in the closet.
And so I step up on my box and urge you all to join me! Gather up all your bags from your house and put them in the front seat of your car and use them! Stop bringing home the plastic!
Let me know how it goes and if you don't have enough bags, maybe I'll make you an Elvis one too.

2 comments:

Amy Zellmer said...

I so agree with you! When i did my Christmas shopping this year I took all of my totes that I have aquired over the years. We are SUCH a wasteful society and there are so many little things we can do to make a big difference! Thanks for bringing it up!

@MuseLaura said...

LOVE IT! You can put me on that Elvis bag list...(I am kidding!) :-)