Monday, May 12, 2008

My new babies

Every year some bird makes a valiant effort to help nature continue on even though builders love to mow down everything (esp. all the trees) in order to build a new neighborhood. Then they plant saplings and let the rest of us deal with the aftermath. The aftermath being the building of nests in every nook and cranny of our yards.

Even though I'm a suburbanite I do appreciate nature and make every attempt to help it out. Except the rabbits - no trees mean no squirrels and 4 bajillion rabbits who eat everything they see. I don't hurt the rabbits, I just don't help them.

Birds, on the other hand, I like. I feed the finches and have food and feeders on most of my trees. The valiant effort noted about is their attempts at nesting. Every year we get one in our deck. They set up shop at the top of the support beams just under the floor of the deck. I think for the most part they have success. This year we know they do. Hence, my new babies:This picture was taken Tuesday 5/6 at around 8:30am CST. One baby was born between 4-8pm Mon. 5/5 and the other was born between then and the time the picture was taken. The third hatched later that day. It's Friday and they are still doing well (although still pink and wrinkly with various puff balls of random feathers).

The kids and I are trying to name them. I suggested things like Huey, Duey and Louie or
Larry, Curly and Moe. My kids are not that creative with animal names (we have stuffed frogs named 'Hoppy', an Allosaurus named 'Ali' and a snake named 'slithery'. Not so much names as adjectives. We've settled on Sam, Ant and Ede, named after the kids.

1 comment:

@MuseKaren said...

How are the babies doing?