Friday, May 9, 2008

Beauty


This one's for you, Karen :-)

My orchids, courtesy of my brother William. Years ago after watching the movie Adaptation he began growing orchids himself. I even had the opportunity to go with him to a really amazing orchid store in Plymouth, Minnesota called Orchids Limited.

I always thought because they are so delicate and beautiful that they were really hard to grow. When my brother stayed with us for a time he had his orchids with and when he left I asked if I could keep one. Kind of a "loaner". The amazing thing is, I keep this little guy on my kitchen window (which gets a good amount of morning sun and general light throughout the day) and all I really do is water it.

Want to know the best part? It stays in near constant bloom for nearly 8 MONTHS! I am not kidding. This one began blooming in about Jan-Feb. Last year I remember the blooms beginning to fall off around September. I love that I get to keep the beauty of these flowers around for so long.

Beautiful and delicate yet persistent and steady. Amazing!

1 comment:

@MuseKaren said...

For me? Really? I love orchids and they are BEAUTIFUL! Always wanted one - someday for sure.