Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The List for mental health

I'm having a challenging week. There's a lot going on and I'll just say it's busy. I'm trying not to judge it and say bad or crappy, because of course it just is. So I'm focusing on being in the moment, doing what's right in front of me and also doing little things that help me feel good.
I was reminded yesterday by my friends that it is helpful to keep a list of things - written down - that I can do when I have these times. It's great to write them down because often when you are in the throngs of chaos (or work, or sleep deprivation...) you may not even have the wherewithal to think about it. Here is the list we came up with:
  • Eat good food (as Laura says "If you can't get good sleep, eat well, if you can't eat well, get good sleep"
  • Exercise, go for a walk, or as Beth suggested "just do one yoga pose"
  • Drink more water
  • Take your vitamins
  • Get fresh air and spend time in nature. Let me add, sit in the sunshine. Even 5 minutes helps.
  • Talk with friends :-)
The other thing I discovered yesterday was that my house was in complete disarray. Due to volume of work, kids and "stuff" I had let a lot go in terms of housekeeping. So I did the dishes, cleaned the counters, cleaned a toilet, folded laundry and vacuumed. It's amazing what a little housekeeping does for my mental state. And so I'll add to the list:
  • Clean or organize a room, closet or drawer. Get rid of a little clutter.
What else would be on your list?

1 comment:

@MuseKaren said...

I hope you are feeling better! Doing the dishes ALWAYS helps me. Open my eyes to all the beauty around me and Breathe!