Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day Gratitude

Lately I've been focused on choosing to see the positive. The duality of life is that there is positive and negative. I just believe there can be a lot more positive if that is what we choose to focus on. I'm not going to focus on or dwell on the negative, it just makes me feel bad and tends to attract more of the same. Likewise, if I focus on the positive I feel good and I get even more of the good stuff.

Someone (Wayne Dyer? Judith Lasater?) said, "What you appreciate, appreciates". Gratitude is such a big part of being positive, because as the quote says, what you appreciates grows and you get "more of the good stuff".

This idea came from Nona over at Everyday Yogini. In honor of Mother's Day, a chance to express my gratitude for my family, my children and the incredible experience of being a mother.

Marya's top 10 Mommy Gratitude List

1. I am grateful for each of my children - that they chose me as their mother, for each of the unique ways they came to be, that I get the joy of seeing them live and grow.

2. I am grateful for Sammy, my oldest boy. 'Super Sammy Salad' I love his creativity and imagination, his ease of life and willingness to try just about anything. I love his humor and goofy stories. I appreciate his love of nature and desire to learn. I've learned more about dinosaurs, sharks, frogs and bugs than I ever knew I wanted.

3. I am grateful for Anthony, middle child. 'Freight Train', 'Monkey Bucket' I love his noodley little body and the way it squidges. I love his emotions, his drama and his quest for attention, even when it drives me crazy sometimes. I love his persistence and sense of order and his quiet calm when he focuses on something he enjoys. I love his funny little giggle, the kind that makes you laugh with him. His love of garbage trucks and obsession with recycling has made us all more aware. (We even have a compost bin now)

4. I am grateful for Eden, baby girl. 'Pink Pocket of Perpetrating Baby' I love her facial expressions and breath talk and the way she twists her hair when she's tired, knots and all. I love her persistence and perpetrating. (It was the butter dish this morning) I love her contemplation and quiet yet also the running and squeeling. Every day is an adventure.

5. I am grateful for my husband who loves me, treats me like a queen and allows me "mommy time" for my sanity. And as my mom reminds me, he is partly responsible for me being a Mom.

6. I am grateful for all of the support of my family and friends. Especially the reminder that someday I'll even look back on the really bad days and miss them too.

7. I am grateful for my health and strength. I've often said that as long as I'm healthy and feel well I can handle anything.

8. I am grateful that we have access to everything we need, that there is always enough, and that my children are truly blessed.

9. I am grateful for the love and affection we display. That I can say "I love you" to my kids all the time and that they know I mean it. That they say it back is even better.

10. I am grateful for everything. There is not a single thing in my life I regret and that is what keeps me constantly working to make my life not just the best it can be, but unforgettable. I want it to just keep getting better. My kids are such a big part of that because they have changed me and pushed me and calmed me and taught me in ways I could have never imagined before.

Happy Mother's Day!

3 comments:

Everyday Yogini said...

Marya, I love your list! Thank you so much for sharing... Happy Mother's Day to you!

@MuseKaren said...

Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

To have a life with no regrets -- how lucky you are!