Sunday, December 23, 2007

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy

25 days of my favorite things, #6: Happiness
I found this great quote on the Abraham-Hicks blog www.abraham-hicks.lilly6.com and I am in love.

“A happy life is just a string of happy moments. But most people don’t allow the happy moment, because they’re so busy trying to get a happy life.” – Abraham-Hicks


Yesterday I had the most beautiful happy moment. I actually thought to myself “I’m so happy I could just cry!”. We (kids and me - husband has been out of town for 13 days now) were scheduled to get the venerable holiday photo yesterday morning. We tried last weekend but Anthony kept throwing up (which turned out to be strep). 10 minutes before we were to leave yesterday, Eden threw up too. It really makes me think we were never meant to have these pictures.

It is 2 days before Christmas and my baby is vomiting. I know at some point last week she actually had her brother’s toothbrush in her mouth so I suppose on some level I’d be surprised if this didn’t happen. I figured it would be best to just go get the strep test out of the way. I also had to go to the bank and the post office. So I loaded up the van and drove in to Shakopee (sung to the tune of the Beverly Hillbillies by the way). Before our day at the MinuteClinic (minute my patootie) I went through the drive-through at Caribou Coffee to get a latte.

We are sitting in the car listening to Christmas songs. We are watching people bustling in and out of the shops in the adjacent strip mall, people shoveling the fresh snow off the sidewalks, and people generally moving about their business. There is an air of cheer. It seems so clichéd but it’s true. I think the stress of the holidays has melted into excitement now that it’s so close. You can feel it out loud. I looked over and saw a woman from the beauty shop shoveling outside. A couple walked up to her and gave her a card and a gift. I don’t know why (besides the obvious) but it was such a touching moment. In that moment I felt generosity, caring, human tenderness. I felt so happy I wanted to cry.

May you all be blessed with many happy moments, and the ability to allow the happy moments.

1 comment:

Amy Zellmer said...

You might find some photos of the world's cutest little girl on my blog today!! MERRY CHRISTMAS Marya, to you and your family!! Thank you for being such a fabulous client and a wonderful friend!! I wish you much happiness, joy, and success in the coming year!
www.xanga.com/azellmer