Friday, March 21, 2008

Word of the Day

Recently, while looking up the official definition of procrastination I came across a new word. procrustean: [Procrustes, villain of Greek mythology who made victims fit his bed by stretching them or cutting off their legs] : marked by arbitrary often ruthless disregard of individual differences or special circumstances.
Why haven't I heard this before? I mean, this applies to so much! By my count, the following could all be considered as Procrustean.
  • Large corporations (Comcast, I'm looking right at you)
  • Corporate policies (ditto above)
  • The current health care system
  • Insurance
  • George Bush
  • Government in general and on all levels
  • Every law in the country
  • Schools
  • The fashion industry (jeans, swimsuits especially)
I've never been one for joining in large protest groups, however, I feel it necessary to establish my stance. I hereby declare myself as Anti-procrustean! Watch here for my upcoming manifesto.

No comments: