Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Practice makes more.

"Practice kindness, and you start to become kind.
Practice discipline, and you start to become disciplined.
Practice forgiveness, and you start to become forgiving.
Practice charity, and you start to become charitable.
Practice gentleness, and you start to become gentle."

(Marianne Williamson)

Sensing a theme here?

I've suffered for some time from a so-called lack of will power. At least that's what I've told myself. And now I've said, "Self, this is bullshit. It's time you got off your duff and just did it anyway." And so I have. I now have the power of my will. At least that's what I'm telling myself and by God it's working.

James Arthur Ray says that we all suffer from ADD, at least when it comes to our misery. I'll add to that our laziness, our apathy, and our distractions. All the time, energy and money spent on the useless, the pointless and the negative. It's time to take back our attention and redirect into something meaningful and life changing. Why not? Were you planning on having a routine boring life? My guess is that wasn't what YOU wanted to be when you grew up.

So, what do you want to be? Just as important, how can you get there? I'm starting by acting as if. I wanted a meditation practice so instead of saying I didn't have the time or space, I changed it to "I meditate every day". And now I do. "I want to be strong." I go to the gym every day. "I want a strong immune system." I eat well and take vitamins. "I want to write." Yes I do.

And when things aren't going the way I want I remember that if I want to be it, I must start by doing it. No one else is ever going to do it for me and it sure as hell isn't going to just land in my lap.

No comments: